Machu Picchu, Peru 5/23/06

Machu Picchu, Peru 5/23/06

A land slide now visible from my sunny spot at Machu Picchu forced us to change course on the Inca Trail yesterday and we headed into Aguas Caleintas, a small town that acts as the home city to Machu Picchu.

We stayed last night in a small hotel which was bitter sweet. After two nights on the ground and 3 days of long hard hiking a shower and bed were nice, even though we only had cold water. A night out at some bars with our fellow hikers was also fun but coming by bus early this morning to Machu Picchu was not how I pictured my arrival to this historic spot. Plus another evening under the amazing Peru night sky, no matter how cold I was on the previous nights, would always be welcome. But I can’t do much about a landslide taking out the trail leading in so I can’t really get mad and it hardly takes away form the grandeur of this amazing place.

We arrived here this morning before sunrise. We were one of the first groups to enter and there was still heavy fog sitting on the site. The scene was amazing; very quiet and peaceful. Even now with probably a hundred tourists spread throughout the ruins it still seems very peaceful. It's hard to describe this place. The first thing that jumps to mind is that it is a huge man made piece of art sitting in a natural frame. When put together the scene leaves your soul in a state of awe.


Our tour guide, Maria Elena, gave our group of 8 a tour of the city for about an hour. She led us to some of the special areas like the Temple of the Sun, The Palace section, and the scared rock.

Dave, MJ, and I followed along like eager students. Unfortunately Nij continues to have some health problems and chose to stay closer to the restrooms just outside the entrance. I still have not seen him yet and I hope he is feeling better and is able to enjoy this possibly once in a life time place.

After Maria Elena’s tour we had hours of free time to discover things on our own. This of course for me meant climbing the towering mountain in the back of every picture of Machu Picchu and officially called Huayna Picchu. I had been excited about doing this ever since Pat told me about it back in West Palm Beach a few months ago. MJ and Thomas, our young English hiking buddy, joined me and we took off up the steep trail after signing in with the ranger’s station.

The view from Huayna Picchu is amazing!! The fog had lifted by the time we made our accent and the green grass and gray stone of Machu Picchu far below were crystal clear and sharp. Wow!


My time here is quickly ending. I'm currently kicking back in the grass on one of the upper terraces with the now sunny layout of Machu Picchu laid out in front of me. Wow, what an amazing place. We have seen many amazing Inca ruins along our hike to this point but of course this blows them all away. My back is against a stone that was probably placed here hundreds of years ago. I am very relaxed and don’t want to move. I could probably just keep staring at the scene before me for hours….but a Frost poem comes to mind and it’s time to start on my journey again.

It's now time to grab MJ and go find the rest of the gang. Tonight we head to Cusco and the trip in Peru begins to quickly wrap up; quickly as in a few days. I still have some days to wander in Cusco and Lima and of course nights to enjoy with old friends and new friends in both cities too. I truly love "this". An experience I can only describe as wandering. I hope it's not long before I can do it again and for longer duration.

"...and miles to go before I sleep."

MJF

1 comment:

MeMeMe said...

Wow. I never knew this place existed. Thank you for your post.