Inca Trail, Peru 5/22/06

Inca Trail, Peru 5/22/06

The porters on the trail are great examples of what the human body is capable of if the mind pushes it. They carry enormous weight in hodge-podge packs, racks, buckets, or just a bunch of items wrapped together in a sheet and strapped on their back. I don't even want to speculate on the weight that they carry but I'm sure it's much more than most people would want to carry from their car to their house let alone up and down a mountain.


The shoes they wear vary from old boots, to flat sole sneakers, to simple sandals. They strap the loads on their back and then, still hunched over, with internal fierce determination but a relaxed outside demeaner they take off; uphill, downhill, flat straight-aways they maintain a steady gallop.












































Our tour guide Mary Elaine just told us to follow one of our porters to lunch; a rare sight on this trip because the porters are usually racing ahead. So one of our porters, Santiago, was left to lead us. He smiled at us then, in usual form, he took off at the normal porter pace.

My pack probably weights about 25 lbs. I have full hiking boots on that were technically designed for comfort and stability and retailing for $140. My pack has 4 areas of tension control and a padded hip and back support. I could barely keep up with him.

The rest of the group was gone from sight and sound in moments. We ran on the flats, jumped down the steps, flew around corners, it was fantastic. I stayed with him all the way to the lunch camp which is where I sit now. My breath has just settled down so I grabbed my little book to get this entry in before the rest of the group arrives and lunch is served.

It was only about a 20 minute run with Santiago but I loved it and I feel great now. I love just letting everything go and physically exerting yourself. This vessel has carried me to some great places and feelings.

It’s about time for lunch now. More on this great trek later.

MJF

No comments: