Kangaroo Island, Australia, 3/12/05

Kangaroo Island, Australia 3/12/05

This moment reminds me of the time I left Fraser Island, almost 3 years ago when Dave and I were again wandering around Australia. It’s an afternoon ferry ride off of an Australian Island, warm sun on my shaggy face, cool breeze, open water, and a quick moment on the top deck to get a journal entry down.

For the last 2 days Dave and I have been on an Adventure Tour with about 15 other International Backpackers. As usual I enjoyed the company as much as I enjoyed the scenery and wildlife which is saying a lot considering all the amazing things I saw on the large island known as Kangaroo Island.

When I arrived in Sydney a few days ago I was greeted with the news that a cyclone was about to make landfall at Port Douglas, the location I was to fly into that afternoon. Obviously my flight was delayed indefinitely. Knowing even if we waited out the storm, diving up there a couple days after a cyclone was not going to be possible so Dave and I made some quick changes to the trip. I’m disappointed I didn’t get another chance to see The Reef but heading to South Australia was a great decision.

We spent some time in Adelaide before hitting Kangaroo Island. Adelaide is a sleepy town despite the university that is there. The City was kind of boring compared to the non-stop thrill cities of New Zealand but looking back it was kind of nice; relaxing. No rush to be anywhere, long walks, an afternoon at Henley Beach. We even took in a couple movies at the local theater. Oh and lots of pictures of buildings. The city is full of cool old architecture especially the churches which the city is known for.

We will actually be spending tonight aback at the Canyon Street Backpackers in Adelaide but now with our Kangaroo Island friends, Lee, Sarah, and a bunch of other people whose names I can’t remember (surprise!) I have a feeling it will be a fun night out at the pubs and not a movie. Hell there is a pub connected to hostel. I imagine we’ll start there.

It’s good that Adelaide is relaxing because Kangaroo Island was exhausting. 2 days of go go go; climb up a steep hill, look around, and go back down to repeat it again. I may be 31 but I tackled each stop like a 12 year old. I was the first one off the bus, first one up the hill, climb that, jump off this. Much like when we went canyoning in New Zealand, I was entertainment to the rest of the people on the tour.

A couple times I tried not to be. I’d walk slower, stand in the back. Eventually I just couldn’t take it any longer and I would charge ahead. Oh well, I gotta be me. At the Little Sahara sand dunes I threw my body down the biggest dune to everyone’s amusement. I rolled like a log down the steep sand hill until my momentum finally stopped. I got back up, shook of the dizziness, and charged back up the dune to try it again. Dave got a good video of it and we have watched it a few times on the little camera screen. It cracks me up to see it. I can’t wait to see it on a bigger screen.


The landscape of Kangaroo Island was nice but of course after New Zealand it was not the highlight on the entire trip. The cliffs and shoreline of the island were pretty. The Remarkable Rocks were impressive and very fun to climb. The water was cold and great for swimming. The dirt roads and short gum trees really gave me the feel of being in the Outback even though we technically were not. However, no doubt the real highlight of Kangaroo Island was the wildlife.

Like a little kid at Show & Tell…I saw Koala Bears, Sea Lions, Fur Seals, Wallabies, lizards and lots of Kangaroos. I even petted one for awhile; a Small Gray of course. The Big Reds are cool to look at but way to big for even an idiot like me to try and touch. The only thing I didn’t see was the always elusive Duckbill Platypus.



I sat quietly next to a muddy pond that had a sign near it that said it was perfect Platypus habitat. Either the sign was too high or the Duckbill can’t read English because I don’t think they were there. Eventually I got frustrated and moved on to find the group. I guess I’ll wait until next time. Add it to my short list of things I still need to do in Australia.

Our one night stay on the island was also memorable. A hostel/camping ground; open air kitchen and dining area, bunkrooms with open air bathrooms. I loved it. Much earlier that day our tour guide/van driver, Scooter, stopped the van at the “bottle shop” and told us if we wanted to buy any drinks for the night we should do so now. Most people bought a small bottle of wine or a single drink. Dave and I bought a case of beer. Leave it to the Americans to know how to get the party started.

That night, as Scooter, also our chef, was making his spaghetti concoction for the group Dave pulled out his deck of cards and I hooked up my mp3 player to the vintage stereo in the dining area. We handed out some beers and got the party started. By Midnight all the beer was gone and only Dave, me, and a guy from Switzerland were left; all of us over 30. Posser Backpackers unite!

I should mention here a moment that happened last night while sitting around the table. A moment that woke me up to an inner conflict I have been working through, or avoiding really. It’s been in my brain for probably a year or so but it really became evident on this trip. The issue is my age or more specifically, my status in life at the ripe old age of 31. Have I accomplished what I “should have”? Am I wasting time? Etc.

I now realize just how much this has been on my mind lately despite what I verbally preach to everyone else. “Age is a state of mind….” and various other mantras relating to age, experience, wisdom, and status that I like to quote. I whole heartedly believed this when I was younger and trying to justify why I should be doing something but now I find myself embarrassed to say how old I am. It’s a perfect example of something being easier said than done….and thus being all the more reason why it’s important.

I realize that now and the moment that finally woke me up happened while sitting around a table playing cards drinking lukewarm beer with international friends for the night.

It was Dave and I, a guy from Switzerland, some girls from England and a couple other people whose countries of origin I didn’t get. In between one of the random card games one of the girls asked me how old I was. (Why the girls always ask this question and why it always seems to start with me I have no idea.) Without even thinking I lied and said 29. The age question went around the table and everyone answered and when it got to my Swiss friend he said “32”. By this point the cards had been shuffled, the next round started, and the conversation and laughs continued. His announcement that he was 32 didn’t shock anyone or change anything…not that I thought it would. So why was I so afraid to say that my real age was 31?!

I kept a smile on my face but in my head I felt very guilty and stupid. All this age BS I have been joking about is stupid. Age is a state of mind. I have few regrets in life and even the ones I have would not change where I am right now. I couldn’t be happier with the life path that I am following. It’s time I remember that.

After my guilt and the feeling inner stupidity started to pass, I made a promise to myself while still sitting around that table laughing with day old friends. From now on I will say my age proudly, happy with what I have accomplished and what I am doing. And if the day should come where I’m not happy then I’ll use it as wake up call to get my life back to where I want it. I will never lie about my age again, especially to myself.

Well they are calling me to come play cards below. I said I would so I guess I better; promises to keep and all. I don’t think these were the type of promises that Robert Frost was talking about but as usual his words instantly pop into my head.

“And miles to go before I sleep. And miles to go before I sleep.”

Boy ain’t that the truth!

MJF

No comments: