Fraser Island, Australia 5/13/02

Fraser Island, Australia 5/13/02

For the last million years sand has been collecting to form Fraser Island and for the last two days I have been driving around on it in a little Suzuki 4x4. What a great adventure!




Words are tough to come up with to describe the Island; steep hills, wide open beaches, thick forest, crystal clear lakes, cliffs overlooking the ocean as the water violently crashes on the rocks below, sand dunes, dingoes, and bumps; lots and lots of bumps. When we first started all I could think of was I wish I was driving a Jeep, specifically mine. After about an hour I’m glad it wasn’t mine. I wonder how long these vehicles last because the conditions are anything but ideal for novice off road drivers in rented 4x4’s.



I’ve lost track of what day in country this is for me. We have been constantly on the move and have not spent a single night in the same spot that we woke up that morning. After Coffs Harbor we spent a night in Surfers Paradise at the greatest hostel. A place called Trekkers. What I wouldn’t give to be able to spend a week there when I was 23. It was like staying in a Frat house. After a great night out with some of the other Trekker guests we spent a morning checking out the rest of Surfers Paradise. It is a cool town; a beach town in the sense that I know them. It felt like a cross between Daytona Beach and Orlando’s Church Street/Orange Ave. area.

Noose Heads/Noosaville was the next night. It is about 3 to 4 hours up the road from Surfers Paradise. This is where Australia’s rich come to “holiday”. A very beautiful area and another great surfing spot (so I was told) with lots of high end shopping and restaurants too.

It was pretty quiet as far as other backpackers and things to do. So we didn’t see the need to stay long. I did manage to get another great run in while we were there though. This one was made for the pages of Runners World.

It was an 18 to 19k run that started on the beach, then up, over, and down a steep ridge, through the Noosa National Forest, onto another beach, then back up another steep ridge before a slow meandering path leads down a rocky trail along the edge of an ocean front cliff. This part of the trail was full of surfers running up to find a safe place to descend down the side and hit the waves. It was pretty awesome.

The trail ended for me at Beach Access 13, about 1 km or less past the main drag of Hastings St. I stopped here for a bottle of water and a quick stretch before heading the other 9k back, following the trail I just described in reverse. It was an afternoon run. (since my slight hangover from my previous night out in Surfers Paradise made a morning run seem very….well un-vactioney sums it up best. What can I say. I love those Toohey New!) So as I was ascending back up the trail the Sun was staring to set over the Western ridge of the cove that protects Main Beach. The thought crossed my mind to stop and watch a sunset that would probably rival Key West’s but I knew I had to keep on running. The terrain was beautiful but definitely not something you would want to tackle in the dark. I got back right after dusk. The last stretch in the dark on the deep sand of the beach sucked out all of my remaining energy. I was drained but very happy.

I think that about brings me up to date. We spent one night in Hervey Bay but it was actually more like 12 hours and our kick off point to Fraser Island. Tonight will most likely be spent back at the Koala Backpackers resort in Hervey Bay. Another great hostel by the way. Tomorrow we are hoping to catch a small plane ride up to the Southern tip of “The Reef” for a couple days of diving before heading back to Sydney and closing out the trip.

- Pause-

I just drove our little ride onto the island ferry and we are heading back to the mainland. I think I’ll wrap this entry up and collect my thoughts on the deck above.
The sun is setting in the horizon and another beautiful day Down Under will almost be over. The temperature is perfect and a light breeze feels nice against my sun soaked skin. I feel great!

I’m having a blast seeing everything. I love hanging out with Dave but I do miss my girlfriend. That pretty much sums up my thoughts and feelings right now. I never want this to end.

MJF

Ah, when to the heart of man
Was it ever less than a treason
To go with the drift of things,
To yield with a grace to reason,
And bow and accept the end
Of a love or a season?

The end of “Reluctance” by Robert Frost

No comments: